Friday 13 June 2008

20th till 22nd May 2008 - UTAR PJ Campus Orientation Week

Orientation. That's more like the reason that I am looking forward for when it comes to entering university. Being the person that I am (for those who knows me well) people especially seniors will highly recommend that I attend all the programmes that are being held during the week, especially the Ice Breaking and Telematch session on the second day. Anyway, more about the event later.

I have not paid up my fees when I went to UTAR the first day. Didn't get anything from the registration counter. Was asked to go into the Hall, and was ushered a seat by one of the ushers. I arrived there quite early, but since I was stuck in the middle of the row, I couldn't really walk around. Had a small chat with the person on the right, who seems to be alone. Found out later that he is just like me, sat for STPM last year. He is going for Actuarial Science. I asked him why does he want to take Actuarial Science. His answer was: "Because I love maths." No kidding. I can remember it clearly; his answer was only four words. No further elaboration. That was it. I felt uneasy by the way he answered my question... I thought these people should at least explain to me to convince me that they really do have a passion for mathematics, not just a liking for mathematics.

The person on my left seemed to be with his friends. Looks younger (and dressed and looked less mature also)... and it did not shock me when I found out from themselves that they are taking foundation in arts. (Students from Foundation in Arts and the Faculty of Information and Communication Technology (FICT) attends the same orientation programme, while the Foundation in Science and Faculty of Arts and Social Science (FAS) students altogether attends another orientation programme of their own.) Talking about foundation programmes: I can understand why people want to take foundation programmes right after SPM in January. But I don't see why people want to take it in the May intake, when they could just go to STPM (It only costs half a year more and it is more cheap too in terms of tuition fees.). Maybe they have their own reasons I guess.



Anyway, there was some introduction of the university, the faculties, the library, the ICTC, the Student Representative Committee and others as well. We were also ushered into separate rooms to meet with our respective Head of Departments and Course Coordinators. I do not really know if this is weird, but everyone seems to be really quiet. No one asked any questions. Anyway, after the thing ended, I went up to the Head of Department and Course Coordinator to ask some 'prepared questions' about the course (reminder: I have not paid my fees yet). I think the both of them must have felt shocked to hear me asking questions about these things when they think: Hmm... this student already applied for this course and now he is asking us these questions that have been asked long time ago...

The second part of the day was the Mass Call Ceremony. Yalah... yalah... the things that you expect to happen. The national anthem, UTAR pledge, introduction of the UTAR officials, a few speeches and then the thing ended. After presentations have been made by the organizing committees of Talent Night, Ice Breaking and Tele-Match, KL Trip and lots more, the day ended.

The second day was the Ice Breaking and Tele-Match. More on that later.

The third day was the PTPTN loan briefing by the Department of Students Affairs (DSA). Have to say something about the presenters of this briefing: The male officer who gave the briefing at the KL Campus while I was there back in January did such a remarkable job in explaining compared to the female officer here who just read out the notes that was shown on the Power Point Presentation. It was at this briefing that I felt such a difference between the people at Setapak during the January intake compared to the students here for this intake... The students over there in Setapak really asked questions that sometimes the DSA officer couldn't give a good answer, and there was a lot of questions which was about how the fees are distributed. The briefing was extended overtime, with many students still crowded around him almost fifteen to twenty minutes after the briefing was over. But here in PJ... the briefing was cut short, the questions asked by the students weren't that many, and from what I heard, the officers just gave simple straight forward answers, mainly to question regarding documentation. Wait, what message that I was trying to convey here??

Anyway, the three-day orientation week ended like that. Culture shock that was indeed. Suddenly realized that I have been such a 'good boy' for all these years... no la, just joking. But I wonder if I am going to be like those kids out of 'college'... punky hairstyle, earings, fancy clothes... hmm...That, for now, will never be me. I wonder if anyone can actually influence me to change drastically. It was an eye-opener really. Oh, I don't think I have encountered this before while I was in Setapak... Explained this to my parents one day during dinner, and what they said were true also... Usually those who came out of STPM are much more wiser in terms of thinking. The people that I met at Setapak were mostly STPM students, those who were denied a course of their choice, in a university of their choice. They waited for another half a year, and they now have to start their bachelor degree's journey almost one year later that those from foundation. No doubt that the people from STPM whom I have met at the two campuses were really mature... and I am glad to be able to know them.

So that was the Orientation. As many would say, it's time to get settled down and concentrate on studies, as the new semester begins for the students... (I am still locked in my house...figuring out my next chapter in my life=(

0 comments: