Tuesday 15 April 2008

UTAR Temporary Assistant

On 4th April I went for an interview at PJ UTAR campus for their temporary examination assistant position. Actually saw the advertisement in the newspaper three days prior and called up to ask when is the appointment. So, took two buses till I got there. Interviewed. Basically, the most important thing was for us to declare that we do not have any siblings, friends, relatives or any other people who are close to us, who are currently studying in UTAR. Informed of the working time: 8am till 6pm for those who chose to work at the PJ or Setapak campuses, and 7am till 7pm for those who wants to work at the Sungai Long campus (with transport being provided as well). Of course the main thing was how much was the pay... FROM WHAT I HEARD, he told us that it is RM5 per hour. RM5. (Maybe I really listened wrongly about it...)



But our working period do not start till 21st, which was almost two weeks away. Was going to look for another job nearby at Sunway Pyramid until I got a call from the same guy, Mr. Lim on Monday who asked me if I can start work the next day. I agreed and the next day I arrived at the PJ campus right on time. After signing in, he introduced me to two of the staffs in his department. Next, was down to business. Basically the job was this: (at least for the two days I was working there) to calculate the amount of examination answer sheets a hall require, and then pack them, and tie them up properly. The three of us assigned among ourselves who do what: one person count the papers, one person do the packing, and another one tying. That was what we did for the first half of the day, up until lunch time.



After having lunch with the other office staffs (for blog posting purpose, I refused to acknowledge them as colleagues... They are permanent staffs and I am temporary... haha..), it's time to continue my work. This time I need to do everything on my own, which was to calculate the correct number of test papers, graph papers, query forms etc. (didn't know there are so many kinds of stuff @.@) for each type of examination and class hall. Then, I need to wrapped them up. (Exactly like what I did before this.)



It was around 4.30pm when suddenly I received a call from the HR Department. The person asked me to go and sign the offer letter. Oh! Went there and looked at the form: RM 26 per day for nine hours!! What? I thought it was RM5 per hour?



I quickly went to meet my supervisor (Mr. Lim), who knew right away why I was looking for him. "Come into the room, I explained to you..." Blah.. blah.. he explained. "At the end, you still get around RM4 per hour, in fact, you will get more than those people, if you calculate also overtime."



No lah, it was all my fault, my mistake again: didn't ask for the offer letter. Then it didn't cross my mind for it: a lot of the shops that I have worked before in Sunway Pyramid don't have this kind of thing... even though Jusco have one.



So, what to do? The next day, I gave 24 hours quit notice. I was thinking all the time the night before how to tell this guy. He is going to flip out, I thought. Yeap, he did.



"What???!!!" he asked loudly.



At that time, I don't really care if I will get paid or not. But then he assured me that a cheque will be given to me at the end of the month. Anyway, all I was thinking about was to get out of there...



Oh dear, my fourth job ended just like that... two days.

0 comments: